Monday, December 15, 2008

Having Parents around

being away in Australia means I don't get to see my folks much. We do the occasional skype call which is great, and free. IDD calls used to be so expensive I could hardly afford to in my undergraduate days. I remember chalking up $100s of phone bills calling an ex in Sydney. These days a $10 (students pay $8 if they purchase them on campus) phone card gives me 200odd minutes of talk time. folks were just over for a coupla' days and for graduation, it was the first time they ever saw me wear that silly gown thing. I skipped mine for the Bachelor's (2002) in a care-less show of silly defiance. Sometimes I blame it on the Singaporean Chinese kid in me saying,"Nevermind not worth going".- have we all not been guilty of this?.

wanted to share, when a dear friend asked what it was the best thing having parents around.

XXXuffles says: (12:39:31 AM)
what do you like best about having parents around
bob | and so it is. says: (12:39:50 AM)
i can be a small boy again
bob | and so it is. says: (12:40:00 AM)
takes away the weight of adulthood, ya know?

i didn't think much of it till she asked, and the answer came out as naturally as it could be without a doubt, a exactly pure unadulterated thought with no agenda, unlike what most of us may think of nowadays, in some ways. i really think i meant what i said.

'although sometimes i know we try to behave all the more adult when they come around these days, but i think we all fail, some more than most, but definitely rarely so.

1 comment:

david santos said...

Excellent work!!!! Congrats!!!!

Search This Blog